Don’t give me that “I don’t eat breakfast” rubbish. It’s too early, dark and cold for your nonsense. The fibre in the oats will help control your blood sugar and keep you feeling full until lunch and the quinoa gives you a little extra protein. That’s right – quinoa porridge, the breakfast of champions.
• 1 cup steel cut oats (rougher than regular oatmeal)
• ½ cup quinoa
• 1 teaspoon olive or coconut oil
• 4 cups water
• ½ cup almond milk (or whatever milk you prefer)
1. Heat the water in a kettle on the stovetop or in the microwave until it is near boiling.
2. Put the quinoa in a strainer and rinse it so it isn’t bitter after you cook it.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add the steel cut oats.
4. Stir them around and cook until they smell toasty, around1-2 minutes.
5. Add the quinoa and the water and bring it all to a boil (this won’t take long because the water should already be hot).
6. Turn down the heat on the pot and let it simmer.
7. Let it cook for about 20 minutes, it should taste a little chewy, not too hard, not too soft.
8. Add the milk and turn off the heat.
9. Serve with fresh fruit, nuts, maple syrup, brown sugar, whatever it takes to get you through your day.
10. Serves 4 (double the recipe so you have leftovers all week)